Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Office 365 head aches

Jumping into a new technology is tough.  I remember the first time I used PHP or C# I couldn't fathom how it all worked together until I ran through several tutorials and Hello Worlds.

Office 365 is no different, probably worse: it's the same technology that I'm used to (SharePoint) utilized in an entirely different way that I'm used to.  Further, it's in constant flux.  Where I could use master pages to customize sites in the past, now I have to do it all with client side JavaScript (admittedly more fun, but more work).  It was a tremendous pain, however, when I ran into this error trying to use a content editor webpart to add JavaScript to the page:

This HTML cannot be inserted because you don’t have access to add scriptable Web Parts in this site. Please contact your administrator if you think you should have rights to do so.

There was nothing in the site settings or site collection settings to modify this. I could only find one spot in my searches that had the solution: in the admin web application for your tenancy there is a spot buried in the settings that lets you allow scripting on site collections.  

You also have to wait at most 24 hours for this to take place.

*sigh*

To get there from your site collection:

  • Click the the squares in the top left, click admin.   
  • At the bottom under the apps menu, click SharePoint.  (this will take you to "https://yoursite-admin.sharepoint.com/_layouts/15/online/TenantSettings.aspx", you can go directly there, if you would like as well)

  • Click Settings on the bottom of the navigation menu on the left.
  • In this page there is a: Custom Scripts section about halfway down.  Enable" Allow users to run custom script on self-service created sites"
  • Click save and wait a day.  


  • It's always the simple things that seem to cause me the most trouble at first.

    ETA: at first I didn't have the web designer galleries available to me.  I gave myself full rights to my site.

    LESSON LEARNED: Everything takes forever to provision in O365

    No comments:

    Post a Comment