Thursday, February 23, 2012

Strange permissions issue

I was trying to get ISA 2006 SP1 installed on a windows 2003 server.

I kept getting an error:

Internal Error 2318
C:\windows\pchealth\errorrep\qsignoff\193BAD3F.cab

I went to the directory in the error in explorer and tried to look at the file properties. I couldn't look at the permissions tab. Strange, I verified my account had full admin rights.

I tried to open the files and got an "Access Denied".

A quick google of the error code revealed that 2318 was a "File not found" error. Obviously, the file existed but it couldn't see it.

One site recommended using the icacls command to examine and set the permissions.

I opened the command prompt and tried to navigate to the folder and I got access denied to the containing folder.

I took a better look at the permissions using effective permissions and noticed I didn't have traverse folder rights. For some reason the local administrators had deny permissions set for the traverse folder permission and it was preventing the installer from getting to the file. I deleted the deny record and was able to successfully update.

What did I learn? Use effective permissions quicker. Also traverse folder permissions will allow you to open the folder with explorer but you can't reside in the directory from the command prompt. If I remember correctly, I did some playing with this setting in the past and you can go to nested non-traverseable folders that allow you to list the folder contents in the deepest folder (but not the higher folders) if you know the exact path.

No comments:

Post a Comment